Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Alone in the silence

They've gone camping.  All the males in the house are now out in the woods, by the river, doing male things....peeing on trees, I suppose..

It is so quiet. The TV isn't on. I'm not hearing the Mario Kart theme music over the shouts of boys stomping their dinosaurs around the kitchen.  No one has screamed "I'm not playing with you anymore" for 5 hours now. Nothing has been dropped from a great height onto the wood floor, nothing has been knocked over, nothing has been spilled and nobody has asked me if it is snack time yet.  I have not heard a single "no" in 5 hours.

It's eerie.

I was able to clean the kitchen cabinets, countertops and appliances without considering where to put things to keep them out of kids' reach or worrying about them accidentally getting the chemicals from the cleaner on their hands and possibly eating something. I've got a bleach gel paste covering all my counter grout lines & I am not even in the same room fending the boys off from touching it. I was not interrupted once.

Kinda freaky really.

All of their toys are put away.  There are no small stray socks or random pants laying around. And there won't be for 48 hours. I can make dinner tonight and not take anyone else's likes & dislikes into account.  I can eat it at 5pm or 7:45pm without caring about when people get home from work or need to go to bed.  I, myself, can go to bed whenever I want because there is no reason for me to be up at 6:30am, or even 9:30am tomorrow. I can play my music as loud as I want.  I can dance around the living room i my underwear if I so choose. ( I choose not to). I can go to Wal Mart and BROWSE! Actually look at things, maybe even hit Kohls or JC Penny and - really wild- try on clothing!!  I haven't actually tried on any clothing before I purchased it in over a year.

I'm a little lonely though. It's so quiet, even with the music

48 hours is a long long time actually. I may have to go turn on the Mario Kart..

1 comment:

Karen Putz said...

I love it when the kids are gone and I hate it too-- for it gives me a peek into what life will be like when they're all grown and on their own.

That only makes me appreciate them all the more when they're home and noisy and messy as heck.