Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I’m meme-ing today

I’m not much into memes usually but Lotus at Sarcastic Mom, who hosts Weekly Winners, had a good one on Monday and I am so worn down by having my kids home with snow days all week that I have no new thoughts left in my head

1.Which expensive electronic device do you most often let your older children abuse or your baby drool on?

My kids both have Nintendo DS Lites, which they are borderline old enough to be responsible for. Nobody touches my phone.

2. How many take-out restaurant numbers do you have programmed into your phone?

I have about a dozen restaurants on my phone, including 3 that are in cities I only visit once a year. Our local sushi place is on my speed dial

3. How many hours of television do you so totally not let your kids watch a week?

I have no idea. They don’t watch tv that much by their own choice. There isn’t much on that interests them currently. Maybe an hour to 90 minutes of TV a day but they play Wii and watch DVDs for another hour or so as well. More on the weekends.

4. Do you think people who say “we don’t watch television” at playdates but really mean “we just watch DVDs” are lying liars from Liarville?

If you watch DVDs you are watching TV. Are you sitting in front of a screen being passively entertained? You’re watching TV by my reckoning. Even if it’s on your laptop. Even if it’s educational. Lying may be carrying it a bit far, but certainly they are exaggerating for effect.

5. How many miles have you driven with your child and not one device of electronic entertainment in a single car trip?

We have a 90 minute rule. If the trip is less than 90 minutes then no DVD player. If it is less than 30 no DS. But audio books are always likely. We have in the past driven 1000 miles one way with no electronic entertainment, but the boys were 2 & 3 at the time. Honestly? I remember being bored out of my mind on long car trips. Fighting with my brother. Annoying my parents and just generally being unhappy. Not to mention car sick. I have no happy family bonding memories of singing & playing endless games on those trips. I see no reason not to take advantage of the technology

6. What’s your record for calls to the pediatrician or Ask-a-Nurse in a single day?

About 3. Havoc was an infant & I had to give him some meds and he kept spitting some of them out & I didn’t know what to do. Give him more? How much more? When? and then the bottle got spilled and I needed to get more but my doc had gone home for the day & the new doc couldn’t find the paperwork. Hysterical new mom.

7. What’s the sexiest thing your husband/partner could text you after a hard day?

I’ve got a babysitter and hotel reservations

8. What’s your favorite iPad joke?

I don’t know any

9. What’s the dumbest parenting tool, gear, gadget or device you ever bought?

One of those exersaucer things. They kept the child occupied for short periods of time but they took up far more space than their amount of use warranted. My kids rarely were interested in the toys attached to them. I have no idea why I thought I needed to have one

10. How many years will it take for your child to become more tech-savvy than you?

They are 6 & 7 now and still easily frustrated by things so I probably have a few more years. Maybe 3.

Feel free to borrow this meme for your own post

7 comments:

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

I love that you have sushi on speed dial!

I also really like what you said in number 5 about being miserable on car trips and seeing no reason not to use the technology. It reminded me of how awful long car trips were when I was a kid! Definitely worth it to let the kids have a pleasant trip.

SciFi Dad said...

I can't believe I can even say this, but we once made the 5 hour drive to my parents with nothing but the CD player and "car bingo".

(It only happened once; every other time has either involved a Leap Pad or videos - I patch my iPod to the display.)

The Four Week Vegan said...

I hate when my kids touch my phone - I'm very territorial about it - they have their own phones and iTouches fro crying out loud.

Chantal Miller said...

I am so going to use this one. I can relate to a few of these, though

humel said...

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing :-) My kids are both pretty techno-savvy already at age 7 and 10.... But they still don't get to touch my phone ;-)

Creative Junkie said...

I like this one! I may just have to do it as well - there are so many days when I just have no clue what to blog about. I always forget about memes!

Lena said...

so true about the exersaucer! And my 9.5 year old is already pretty tech savvy so we'll see how long I have!