Friday, February 05, 2010

Timeline of the Blizzard of the, um…

Century?

Wasn’t the one in December called that? Maybe that one is better labeled Blizzard of the Decade. Unless this one is less bad than that one.

It is barely 10 years into the century. I think it is a bit early to be making sweeping statements about things being Of The Century.

But I don’t know what else to call it. The Blizzard of 10 sounds like you are about to enumerate a list of 10 things blizzard related or perhaps scale a number of blizzards from 1 to 10. The Blizzard of 2010 sounds a bit too sci fi for me, like I should be talking about all the flying cars being grounded due to poor airspace visibility.

Anyone else have a sudden urge to visit Dairy Queen after seeing the word Blizzard so many times? I’m thinking Oreo Cheesequake rates 10 on my scale.

Sadly the roads are becoming too slippery for me to drive the 25 miles to the DQ.

Anyway….our story so far…

6am – School is cancelled. Shocker! 

7:30 – DH clears the porch of existing snow & ice and salts it then plows the existing snow from the parking area

7:45 – A fine wet snow begins to fall

8: 20 – Havoc outside for a half hour

9:30 – I start eggplant roasting & meat browning for ragu

10:15 – Havoc outside for 20 minutes. Begs Mayhem to join him. Mayhem, the snow hater, is having none of it

11:00 – 5/8ths of an inch of snow have fallen

This storm is going to have to do better than that.

Forecasters say it will taper off soon and they begin to fall in ernest after 5pm.

I’ll have a more complete timeline of events tomorrow. Stay tuned

7 comments:

humel said...

lol! Yes, I quite understand why school had to be closed :-) Hope the route to DQ gets cleared soon x

Cheri said...

We are supposed to get hit starting at 6 p.m. tonight, then all night and all day tomorrow. Personally not holding my breath. I'll believe it when I see it (on the ground that is).

Lizzie said...

Hmm, we had a positively balmy 7.5 degrees centigrade today! It felt really warm after all the freezing temperatures.
I did notice the lawn is pretty waterlogged. I think the ground must have got so wet that last nights rain just couldn't soak in.

Hope your snowstorm goes away and the roads are soon cleared (even as far as Dairy Queen!)

SciFi Dad said...

Mmm... Blizzard... I think I may have to go out for one tonight.

The Four Week Vegan said...

Your ragu sounds like it will be yummy. I hope it isn't as bad as they say it will be. Stay warm.

Carrie said...

Neat post! And funny cuz I just was printing out a coupon from DQ for BOGO Blizzard - lol, but SO not the same thing.

Kelly Walker said...

Looks like you must be near us. We got 30 inches of snow. I ran across your blog while looking for things to crochet. Loved it. I blog at www.lifeofadailypainter.com . Keep up the good work.