Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ancient technology

This is an unretouched photo of a 5.25” floppy disk I unearthed while cleaning the junk closet. 

DSC_2148

It holds 1.2MB of storage.

That’s not even enough to store the full sized photo of itself.

I think it is blank because there is no label on it. But we’ll never know for sure because no one I know has a drive capable of reading it. I last had a drive capable of reading it in 1996.

Yeah, I’ve been hanging on to a possibly blank disc I have no way of reading for almost 13 years.

I’m thinking I might start calling the junk closet my “antique closet”.

Someday, far in the future my technologically advanced descendants will find it and wonder what secrets I might have left behind on the unreadable mystery disk. 

Obviously, not photos.

7 comments:

Helene said...

Wow, it's been ages since I've seen a disk like that!! I totally remember those days!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how far technology has come? Have you decided to finally throw away the old floppy??

Jenni said...

That is quite a find! LOL! You should call Antique Road Show and have is appraised!

Jenna said...

i've not seen one of those in awhile!!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL Gosh it has been ages since I have seen one of those. I'd hold on to it, maybe it will be worth something one day!

Latte said...

To me it seems like yesterday computers were gaining popularity-now I can't keep up with the technology

I found you on moms ad exchange and love your blog so far.

Faith

Daisy said...

Remember the shock when the iMac came out without a floppy drive? Oh, the horror!