For the ill prepared.
1. Realize you have a lot of graham crackers left over from the cookout.
2. Remember there was a cookie recipe for them in one of those mysteries with the really annoying sleuth that you have been reading & you copied it. Find it.
3. Lay out graham crackers on foil lined pan
4. Start 2 sticks of butter melting
5. Get one cup brown sugar
a. Realize there is no brown sugar in the house because *someone* (I’m looking at you DH) made cookies last week and did not tell you they used all the brown sugar
b. Google ‘brown sugar substitutes’ and find many proportional variations of ‘add molasses to white sugar’. Debate between 2t to 1 cup and .25c to 1 cup
c. Realize you aren’t just making cookies, you are also making blog fodder. Get your camera & channel the Pioneer Woman.
6. Remove 1T butter from pan. Add 1 cup white sugar and 1T molasses.
Stir until melted together, bring to a boil and stir constantly for 5 minutes.
7. Decide that what you really want for Christmas is a tripod and a well lit kitchen
8. Pour this mixture over the graham crackers and spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
9. Spend 1 minute gathering some toppings.
Spend the remaining 9 minutes on a ‘just the right sized container’ quest to hold all your jars of toppings & colored sugar.
10. Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle 2 cups of chocolate chips over it all. Let them soften for a minute or two and then spread the melting chocolate evenly over the crackers
11. Sprinkle with toppings if you have people in your house that are partial to that sort of thing
12. Wait about 10 minutes for it to cool a bit then stick in fridge to chill for 2-3 hours.
b. rearrange fridge
13. Once it is hardened, pull the foil off the back and break into pieces
oh look! the quality control inspectors have arrived!
14. Taste one.
a. OMG that is sweet!
15. Debate what sized sugar rush effects you want to deal with and resize the cookies
16. Referee the inevitable fighting
These are really good and really sweet. OMG sweet. One small cookie is plenty.
I might make them with 1/4 less sugar next time for comparison.
Chocolate crackers (from one of Joanne Fluke’s books)
2 sticks butter (1 cup)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 inner package of graham crackers (enough to cover a foil lined 10x15 rimmed baking sheet)
1 foil lined 10x15 rimmed baking sheet
2 cups chocolate chips
Lay out graham crackers on foil lined pan
Start 2 sticks of butter melting
Add one cup brown sugar, stir until melted together, bring to a boil and stir constantly for 5 minutes.
Pour this mixture over the graham crackers and spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes
Remove from the oven and sprinkle 2 cups of chocolate chip over it all. Let them soften for a minute or two and then spread the melting chocolate evenly over the crackers
Wait about 10 minutes for it to cool a bit then stick in fridge to chill for 2-3 hours.
Once it is hardened, pull the foil off the back and break into pieces