Thursday, June 22, 2006

be careful what you wish for...

I am so screwed.

You know how I hate my sofa adn would like nothing more than to have to buy a new one? You know how I just spent nearly as much on a laptop as I would on a new sofa? You see where this is heading?

One of our cats has PEED on the sofa. And not just on a cushion than can be taken to the laundromat, but in the corner, so it is on the nailed into the frame upholstry. That can't be washed and no amount of Febreeze is going to eradicate the smell. The cat will do it again. The cats are 13 years old & have been peeing on all sorts of things since the boys were born..mostly the boys toys, but also in the bathrooms. Cats are not disposeable to me so I can't just dump them at the shelter and I can't see placing an ad that reads "wanted good home for cat that pees on everything." So I don't know what to do. Odds are they will pee on a new sofa too. If we were in a position to buy a new sofa, which we aren't because we just bought the laptop. I'mnot returning the laptop. I need it far more than I need a sofa.

So as an experiment & to buy some time, I am taking the cushion and the sofa cover to the laundromat for an industrial strength washing tomorrow. Tonight I am going to soak that corner of the sofa in Febreeze and vinegar. Tomorrow I will also go to the furniture store & price sofas. (I told DH we shouldn't have given away our old IKEA sofa last month) The cats have just become outdoor cats as opposed to the indoor/outdoor cats they were. well, they will be out when we are out. Unless they do it again & then they are out for good.

Maybe people will just have to sit on a pile of pillow until Xmas, when we will have saved enough to buy a new sofa.

4 comments:

Bethy said...

Ugh.
I feel for you. That is NOT fun.
I can't quite remember . . . but I read something about getting a cat to stop peeing on things - if I remember, I'll let you know!

loonyhiker said...

Maybe you can keep some potpourri around with a sweet smell to help disguise the cat pee. When we had a fire, we had to crumble up newspaper and put it in the closets to absorb the smoke smell. The fireman told us by crumbling up the newspaper, you are activating the carbon which absorbs smells. Maybe you could try that too. Hope your cleaning works!

heather said...

Love your ad for the cat, had me laughing! We had a bad cat once, won't tell you what he would do on the beanbag (luckily it was our housemate's beanbag and we never sat on it LOL) The smell on your sofa WILL fade and I'm sure all those things you're doing will help. If you get a new lounge consider leather/vinyl cause you can spill anything on it and it just wipes off (even got permanent marker off ours the other day)

Judyy said...

Or think about getting a slipcovered sofa so you can just whip that thing off and throw it in the wash. Good luck with the cleaning!