Saturday, June 10, 2006

How do I spend my time online?

I am celebrating 15 years of online life this month. In 1991 I became a member of Prodigy & joined my first message boards (about Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Dragonlance & David Eddings). Over a 3 year period I got to know many people on those boards, my first internet family. I would spend the next 10 years trying to find the same thing in other places. I found it again the first time on a fertility board called www.ovusoft.com, in a now defunct buddy group called the Freaks. Most of us are still together on another private board. I've been friends with these women for over 3 years now and I was so thrilled to meet some of them last year in person. I stopped posting very often at Ovusoft a year ago & now only visit a few times a week at most. My next experience of internet friendship came on DSP, where I am still an active member. It is possibly the most supportive & friendly place I have been on since those long ago days of Prodigy. I spend a good portion of my online time there, keeping up with threads& browsing the gallery.

My other scrapbook home would be scrapmommies.com though they do more chat in chat these days than chat on the message board and I am more a message board person than a chat person.

I am a long long long time member of a pagan elist and it's associated message board, though the past few months I have visited infrequently and have the elist set to digest. They are a family of a sorts....a dysfunctional family... or as I have been quoted as saying "More of an online bar room brawl" some days. But i really love some of the people. I've known some of them for almost a decade now. So I can never bring myself to really leave and they are a very interesting cross section of people. I've learned far more being a part of them than I would ever have learned on my own.

The other things I do online include shopping, blogging & occasionally selling/reselling things on eBay & half.com

4 comments:

Jane said...

Congratulations on your 15 years Stacey :o) I think my DH is a life-longer like you, being in on the first chatrooms run by ukonline back in the 1990s. I didn't make it online until around 1998, so I guess I'm nearly 10!

loonyhiker said...

I loved your description about the online bar room brawl! It puts great images in my head! I love to read your posts!

heather said...

You've had a long and interesting online life! Nice to have 'met' you along the way.

Karen said...

Sounds like an eclectic online life. My daughter used to be an avid HHGG bulletin board fan in the '90s too.