Friday, June 30, 2006

exercise?

Since my internet connection is cooperating I am tryingto get caught up. Please excuse the typos I am trying to get this done before the wind changes.

I belong to the gym. I love it. It is the best use of $60 a month (includes unlimited childcare) I could have. Sure sometimes my sole motivation for going is to take a shower uninterrupted by small children, but hey, it gets me there and once there I feel morally obligated to do at least 20 minutes on one of the cardio machines. Other days my motivation is an hour away from the kids & if the price for that is 2 20 minute cardio sessions & and some ab & thigh machine work, then it is worth it. Unlimited childcare is a wonderful thing. Pity you can't leave the building...

I try to go 3x a week. I usually do 15-20 minutes on a cardio machine, there are about 7 styles available, I use all but the bikes. Then I do a round of weight machines, getting arms, back, abs, legs & butt worked (or some variation, I don't get to each of them every time) sometimes I just use hand weights. I always do ab work, one of a couple different ab machines. Then I do another 20 minutes on a different cardio machine. I listen to audiobooks while I work out. Some people are motivated by music, but there is nothing like a good murder mystery to keep my focused on my workout.

I try the classes every so often. I like the yoga & the cycling classes but I am just not a class person. I can't listen to my murder mysteries in them. So I am bad about attending them.

4 comments:

Tink said...

I need to find one here that includes childcare. I have belonged to several gyms over the years and states and I loved it.

heather said...

You know I've never tried an audio book - perhaps it might help my motivation as well - sounds like you are doing a great job keeping yourself fit.

loonyhiker said...

When I'm at home, I read a book while I walk on the treadmill while I listen to music. But if I'm in a hotel, they usually don't have a shelf for a book, so I listen to audiobooks on my Ipod. I have got to listen to something or I shut down! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Bonnie said...

My gym also has childcare. It's great. I laughed when you said it's a good place to have a shower uninterrupted by small children! Ditto!! Ours has even got a coffee shop and health bar, it's great! I couldn't survive without my gym!